I came across this rather odd little tale of woe on the newswires yesterday, and I feel that it may well have implications for us in the UK.
Negligent homicide charges have been dropped against Tammy Jean Warner, of Texas City (in the USA), who had been accused of killing her husband with a sherry enema that led to alcohol poisoning.
Yes, you did read that correctly!
Michael Warner, 58, died on May 21 2004. The autopsy showed that the poor chap had been given an enema with enough sherry to have a blood alcohol level of 0.47 percent, almost six times the legal limit of .08 percent in Texas.
Seemingly Mr Warner was addicted to enemas, and often used alcohol in them to get drunk; as one does.
It seems that on the fateful night in question, Mrs Warner gave him at least two large bottles of sherry (each being 1.5 litres...that's a big bottle), which is stronger than wine, in the enema.
You couldn't make this up could you?
Anyhoo, I rushed to check my Harveys Bristol Cream, and was horrified not to find any warning label on the bottle advising me not to use it as an enema or to put it up my bottom.
Nanny has seriously let us down by not issuing an edict forcing sherry makers to put such a warning on bottles. However, I can only assume that we will soon see them on sherry bottles.
In keeping with the spirit of the occasion here is a small video:)