Nanny Knows Best

Nanny Knows Best
Dedicated to exposing, and resisting, the all pervasive nanny state that is corroding the way of life and the freedom of the people of Britain.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Booze Matters - Share a Bottle With Granddad

Oh dear I see that Nanny recently started having a moan again about how much we all drink, this time targeting the "professional households" which allow their children to have a drink before they become teenagers.

The majority of parents in a Drinkaware study (50% of their kids surveyed had a drink before they were 14) thought that it was inevitable that children would drink before they turned 16, while one third thought it was "OK" for them to do so.

Needless to say Nanny disapproves of this, Nanny's advice states that alcohol should never be given to children below the age of 15.

Pah!

This is nonsense.

Children are far more likely to develop into sensible mature adult drinkers if their formative drinking is done within the family in a social mixed age setting, rather than behind the bike sheds with a bottle of cider.

I used to share a small glass of Mackeson's stout with my grandfather (many years before I entered my teens), the result being I manage to drink as an adult without throwing up in railway carriages, dropping my trousers, passing out, assaulting anyone or even putting my feet up on seats on the journey home!

It's not the booze, but the cretins who drink it that are the problem!

Visit The Orifice of Government Commerce and buy a collector's item.

Visit The Joy of Lard and indulge your lard fantasies.

Show your contempt for Nanny by buying a T shirt or thong from Nanny's Store.

www.nannyknowsbest.com is brought to you by www.kenfrost.com "The Living Brand"

Visit Oh So Swedish Swedish arts and handicrafts

Why not really indulge yourself, by doing all the things that Nanny really hates? Click on the relevant link to indulge yourselves; Food, Bonking, Gifts and Flowers, Groceries

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:12 PM

    Bah, I have a vivid memory of being allowed to finish off my father's beer, aged 5.

    My average weekly alcohol consumption aged around 40, 1 unit per week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonk.3:04 PM

    In most other countries, where their Nannies are not hung up on alcohol, drinking alcohol is seen as part of a normal social life. In France, young kids will have wine watered down with their meals.
    It is only because we have such a crazy attitude to booze in this country (and many other things) that kids see it as a bit naughty and therefore, very attractive.

    As a child, I had a glass of wine with my Christmas dinner from about seven years of age. I often had a sip of my Dad's beer and a sip of his whisky; now that put me off spirits for a very long time.

    I have never been so drunk that I didn't know what I was doing. I have never committed any crime when drunk, nor felt the need to fight everyone.
    My alcohol consumption is very low now although, I do like a beer or a wine now and again.

    Once again, we see a few single issue butt wipes wanting to impose their views and lifestyles onto everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:12 PM

    I was raised in Public Houses as my parents were managers and then Tenants of a few pubs. Friday or Saturday evening we were allowed in the bar after 11pm closing to help clear the glasses and tables. A few regulars were permitted to stay behind for a bit of "AT" (after time), when we kids were allowed two halves of beer or lager. This was at age 12 to 13, and continued until we left school, we were also allowed to practice pulling pints. Neither I nor my siblings have ever been charged or in trouble with regards drinking since we reached adulthood. Indeed the lessons learned have been passed to my children and nieces and nephews, who at family get togethers, are allowed a couple of drinks.

    lfb_uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Disgusted, Tunbridge Wells6:48 PM

    Ken said:

    "I used to share a small glass of Mackeson's stout with my grandfather (many years before I entered my teens)"

    Same here, but this took place in the 1950s when I was but a tadpole. On warm summer evenings (when we had four distinct seasons) parents took me to the pub and installed me in the beer garden with a bottle of that real ginger beer that exploded up your nostrils. Dad would let me have a sip of his Mackesons but I never really liked it. I still don't like Mackies but I'm partial to the odd Guinness. Strangely, everyone smoked in the 1950s because that was The Thing to Do although the the link between smoking and lung cancer was confirmed. After a drag on one of Dad's fags I never touched tobacco again. However I went down to the off-licence for my Dad's smokes because I also got a bottle of pop. Non of this nonsense about being a certain age before you could be served with fags. As long as the shopkeeper knew the cigs were for an adult, no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember my first school holiday in Paris in 1960, I was not quite 13 years old. We stayed at the Lycee Henri IV (very classy school) and at the first dinner, the vin ordinaire was placed on the table in front of us.
    We looked nervously at the teachers who simply shrugged and said "You're in France now, you can water it down a bit if you want, just don't drink too much"
    We happily complied, of course, even though the vin was very ordinaire. The joie de vivre of being allowed wine by our teachers was exhilarating.

    ReplyDelete