Nanny Knows Best

Nanny Knows Best
Dedicated to exposing, and resisting, the all pervasive nanny state that is corroding the way of life and the freedom of the people of Britain.

Friday, January 08, 2010

Xmas Banned

Xmas Banned
Here is another post Christmas Nanny story that I never got round to mentioning in the run up to Christmas.

It seems that the Nanny element of British Transport Police took control of the PR department in the festive season, and banned the use of the "Christmas" from a national publicity poster.

For why?

They were worried it might upset people who do not "buy into" the festival (whatever that means).

"Holiday" was substituted for "Christmas".

Totally daft:

1 I am not offended when people wish me a "Happy XXX (substitute religious festival of your choice)", just as others are not offended by the use of the word "Christmas".

2 "Holiday" in itself could well piss many off, a large section of the community does actually work on Christmas Day (eg the health service, fire service, police, TV, power supply etc...not of course politicians nor railways!).

PS Our decorations finally will come down this Sunday (midway split between Swedish/British tradition), one of our trees is looking decidedly droopy.

Visit The Orifice of Government Commerce and buy a collector's item.

Visit The Joy of Lard and indulge your lard fantasies.

Show your contempt for Nanny by buying a T shirt or thong from Nanny's Store.

www.nannyknowsbest.com is brought to you by www.kenfrost.com "The Living Brand"

Celebrate the joy of living with booze. Click and drink!

Why not really indulge yourself, by doing all the things that Nanny really hates? Click on the relevant link to indulge yourselves; Food, Bonking, Toys, Gifts and Flowers, Groceries

10 comments:

  1. Nanny's dream....A "One size fits all" world....No individual thought permitted, the only religion allowed will be the gospel of Nanny.

    BTW, recently MicroDave mentioned "Emergency Services Speak" and how entertaining it is to listen to....I concur, this bad weather has brought many a senior officer onto our news programmes and, you're right, they do have a language all of their own.....I wonder how it comes about....Is it a kind of corporate identity in much the same way that many people in industry copy words and phrases senior members of staff use?

    Enjoy emergency service speak responsibly

    emergencyservicesspeakaware.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:40 PM

    Must have missed that. What is 'emergency services speak'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably they were sent on Common Purpose taxpayer-funded courses to learn Julia Middleton-speak gobbledygook.

    I remember a pompous staff officer at a large organisation I once worked for who sent round holiday announcements which started "Exigencies of business permitting...."

    Bring back Sir Ernest Gowers' admirable "Plain Words".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lord of Atlantis2:58 PM

    Instead of banning 'Christmas' why not get rid of the jerk who came up with this idea! I cannot imagine Christmas offence to anyone: as a Christian, I would not be in the slightest bit offended if someone wished me a happy whatever festival they happened to be celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that "holiday" is an attenuated from of "Holy Day," so, substituting holiday for Christmas doesn't really get around the problem, at least, with anyone obnoxious enough to object to Christmas to begin with.

    Of course, Nanny's true goal is to demonstrate her sensitivity to the perpetually aggrieved sub-micro population of England whom she encourages to feign having taken offence at perfectly innocuous traditions, customs, and turns of speech, thus reducing the mass of the population to timid, perpetually apologizing sheep. And it seems to be working.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Black Sea, the logical response to being wished a happy 'Holiday' would be 'yes, it will be holy as we are going to midnight mass'. Some how, I think you will just be stared at by the imbecile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howard11:02 PM

    Got to admit - I don't fall for this "Christmas" mallarky, and I AM offended when someone wishes me a happy xxx when xxx is one of my most hated times of the year.
    I'm even insulted that I have to lose two of my precious 28 days holiday for forced jollity.
    So, for once, good on Nanny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:39 AM

    I remember when 'happy holidays' itself was either a way of saying "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Hanukkah". It was also used for the period extending from Christmas to New Years (some here in the 'states consider Thanksgiving to be a part of the holiday season as well). So happy holidays was viewed/used as an expression of inclusiveness, not exlcusion. But Political Correctness had to come along and hijack it for it's own nefarious and stupid ends. It took a perfectly general and jolly expresion and it turned into an anti-religious message. I remember being able to say happy holidays without anyone giving me that "you're a state-educated moron" look. I miss those times.

    Does anyone else see that the PC are the ones who just came along and screwed up EVERYTHING?

    btw-- great blog!

    Howard said...
    "I'm even insulted that I have to lose two of my precious 28 days holiday for forced jollity."

    That's the biggest pile of bullshit I've ever heard. Plenty of people work on Christmas, just as they can choose to work on one of the many weekends throughout the year (or I guess in your book "periods of forced relaxation").

    ReplyDelete
  9. Disgusted, Tunbridge Wells11:52 AM

    Anonymous said:

    "That's the biggest pile of bullshit I've ever heard. Plenty of people work on Christmas, just as they can choose to work on one of the many weekends throughout the year (or I guess in your book "periods of forced relaxation")."

    Sorry, you're the one talking the bullshit. Here in the UK many businesses close between Christmas and New Year's Day, and make employees take the week as part of their holiday entitlement. When I worked for an employer (I'm now retired) one could choose to work if one wished but that option is no longer available to most.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:36 PM

    Disgusted, Tunbridge Wells said...

    "Sorry, you're the one talking the bullshit."

    Given the insanity described between the two of you, I must beg to differ on that. So... you guys are forced to not work for nearly a week, whilst one reference to the holiday that's forcing you to not work is not allowed?

    Crazy...

    I thought after several months of reading this blog (among others) I would have had a firm grasp on UK insanity (I'm not from there), but that caught me by surprise.

    ReplyDelete